Project 1: I AM TORN

I AM TORN BETWEEN TWO IDEAS
I will present them now:

Idea #1: Collaborative Game! Fun!!!!

One option is to work with two of my friends back home on a small game project, and by the end of 10th week, we would have a sufficient, playable demo. Though the story world is vague, here's a basic idea:

Working title is "Wizard Detectives" and that's exactly what it is. You would play as the assistant of a wizardly detective in a futuristic megalopolis wherein lots of fantasy races exist. However, in this world, technology is quickly surpassing the power of magic, and your business is on the decline due to this. It would be a largely story-driven / dialogue driven game, with solving cases being the main objective. It'd be somewhat of a lighthearted anti-adventure, with heavy emphasis on worldbuilding.

Assets would be split among the three of us, though I'm probably doing the music. 

The technological advancements clashing with the fantasy of...fantasy also creates like a meta-simulation in the story. Your character lives a virtual life within the virtual life of the game. spooky stuff
=====================================================================


 (images from Inio Asano's "Dead Dead Demon's Dedededestruction")

Idea #2: Depressing Short Comic / Animation! Sad-ish!!

The other option just has been in my mind for a while now. It's still rather hazy, but I really want to make a short animation about the apocalypse and subsequently death. I find that most films that depict the end of the world shows both utter chaos and complete, mopey, existential dread. It is unsure, as if there may be a way out.

Instead, imagine a situation akin to the rapture. It's there and it's not leaving. There's no way out. What can you do, and how do you react to a world like that? Well, you can go the mopey, existential route, because the situation is rather dreary. However, I feel like there'd be a collective learned helplessness after a while; the backdrop of annihilation becomes the status quo.

To quote the book, "
When the real is no longer what it used to be, nostalgia assumes its full meaning" (12)

And in this fucked up situation, people would interpret the past reality through memorable moments and items. To some they'd be living fully in the simulacra.



...But, this would probably all in all be too problematic and questionable morals may be interpreted and taken out of context...which I really don't want. I just like a wholesome apocalypse, I can't explain why. 



thats it

Comments

  1. Hi Jeffrey, I enjoyed hearing you pitch your ideas today, and I agree with the class in finding a way to combine the two. I think making the apocalypse situation as a case for the game would be a really good implementation of simulations, especially if people aren't aware of what exactly the impending doom is. Though I don't have a background in gaming, I appreciate the created worlds and understand that there is significant amount of time put into building them. Maybe if scheduling and whatnot doesn't work out with your group, you could still continue this project into the future. If you decide to pursue this idea, I wish you the best of luck with the challenges of working as a long-distance team!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment