Project Update: Workin

No lengthy blogs today, just been working on the same concepts as before. I had some serious dips in productivity but working on this pixel art piece has activated all cylinders again which feels really nice to get out of that rut. Because there's so little to say, I'll discuss the process of the piece thus far (it's unfinished, but almost there!).

The piece as it stands:
THINGS TO DO:
  • Finish character: hands, hair shape, clothing (maybe it'll just be a blanket), a little more shading, might add something to the face? I think the expression carries but it's always hard to tell if human features look okay. Maybe add more to the eyes...hmm.
  • Add stuff on the computer screen. I imagine a discord-esque program running with a bunch of users saying goodbye / freaking out
  • Get a better poster. Seriously couldn't think of anything to put lol. Give the walls a tad more personality.
  • Put things on the desk, maybe books or food or just a little something in that left-hand corner.
  • Finish keyboard? I honestly might leave it as is minus the cross-section in the middle, cause i don't want to make pixel keys aaaaaaaa
  • Maybe add some smoke billowing in the cityscape, cause after all aliens or some shit are invading!
  • Animate sky and computer screen. Nothing fancy, although I could animate the comments being added, which would take some time.
  • Add an actual window (maybe broken?), because houses normally have those.  
==========
 How It's Made

So at first I started with some really really tiny thumbnail sketches.


Then I made a super rudimentary scene in Blender.

Positioned the camera

The reason the view is so zoomed in is because we are viewing this shot in normal one-point perspective. When I add a curvillinear lens to the camera, however, things change drastically. I also made the lens very distorted and wide, so that the computer screen curved heavily.
I then rendered the scene and took the screenshot into Asesprite, a v good pixel art program.

Found a color neat looking color palette because I'm not creative enough to come up with my own color schemes. Also not to mention looked up countless reference images for the pose / atmosphere.

Here's a WIP that looks horrendous.
Aaaaaaaand after a lot of tweaking we get the product thus far:
I think it's looking pretty good so far.

That's it. I'm hoping to make two or three more environments after this, but we'll see. I also might try and make a character in Blender and try and rig them. Basically I just want to see how this idea / general vibe plays out in different mediums, but I really like the pixel art one so far. So long as you have a clear idea, it's not that intimidating, but wow I'm still so clueless and baffled by pixel artists who add so much with so little. woooooo

ENd of updaTE

Comments